Tuesday, August 2, 2016

JoJo Episode 10: Is That Another Red Flag? Phuket.


Phuket, Thailand.  Are you kidding me?  I love it when they toss me a softball like that.  Notwithstanding the fornicationy name, why does ABC seem to think that stiflingly hot and humid locations are the best places to stand outside and get pretend engaged?  You’d think they’d shut that down or at least provide a tent with fans and misters in it after Roberto almost sweated to death after climbing 100 stairs in searing heat to ask Ali to marry him a few years ago.  And his suit actually fit him. 

We begin, as we usually do with this show, with a big set up from Harrison filmed live from the top secret studio located in an inconspicuous condemned warehouse in East Los Angeles.  It’s like the Bat Cave.    JoJo is in love with two “men,” it’s time to make a decision, what is she going to do?  Oh, and the cast of Bachelor in Paradise is there, including Chad and his weird facial hair.  So much for him being above it all. 

I'm going to threaten you after I eat my protein. 

Thank God for that lead-in, though.  Without it, I just wouldn’t have been able to figure out what was going on as Andi . . . errr . . . JoJo walked knowingly amongst the grounds of the Marriott Guad-A-Lotta-Poontang Resort.  She broods as she reflects on her love of metrosexual men who, like the grounds of the Marriott Guad-A-Lotta-Poontang Resort, are very well groomed.

Family time awaits.  Mom has had, uh, a little plastic surgery and looks like Charo but appears sober (for the moment).  She was so excited to see JoJo that her face almost moved.  Dad is there looking like Mr. Whipple and her cheesy brothers and mute, less attractive and bitter about it sister complete the clan. 

Don't squeeze my daughter. 

Cuchi, Cuchi! JoJo is getting married!

Red Flag Number 1:  JoJo tells us that Jordan is type of guy she normally goes for BUT this time it’s different.  Sure it is, JoJo.  See Sisyphus.  Hell, just give Andi Dorfman a call and see how that worked out for her. 

I’ve said this a million times (in writing) before:  women make the mistake of going for a “type” in spite of a clear, well-formed conscience screaming in their ears not to do it and then they wonder why they are so unlucky in love.  Like the aforementioned Sisyphus, the task of finding a mate quickly turns futile and tends to repeat itself with the same disappointing result.  It would help JoJo if the next time she evaluated her poor relationships she'd realize that the only common denominator in all of them is herself.  

Red Flag Number 2:  Jordan was so enthralled at the possibility of meeting the love of his life’s entire family for the first time that he threw on a T-shirt and jeans.  Even her brothers ironed their cute, matching khaki pants and polo shirts in anticipation of meeting him.  The least he could do is mix in a collared shirt.  Am I nitpicking?  Possibly.  However, the signs are always there, no matter how subtle. 

Jordan meets mom and dad and his jeans fit the same as her mom’s.  Mom predictably drinks and he gives everyone hats; a gesture that went over as well as a fart in an elevator. 

Mom and JoJo show off their shoulders and Mom busts his balls a bit.  Look, she may be half sober and full of Botox but Mom had some serious game when it came to sizing him up.  Mom is concerned.  He’s an attention-getter (read: Playboy and Cheater).  Mom thinks they’re too much alike (read: self-centered).  I’ll give credit where credit is due.  She knows her daughter . . . and likely knew a guy or two like Jordan. 

Red Flag Number 3:  When Mom drops the honest analysis,  JoJo rationalizes her feelings and talks herself into a bad relationship.  Granted, she’s a grown woman who can choose to ignore advice, but when the advice hits directly at the heart of the matter and is from her own mother, at least not considering it probably isn’t wise.    

Red Flag Number 4:  Mom and Dad both bring up JoJo’s “trust issues” to Jordan who seems unfazed by it all.  It was all he could do to throw out a canned answer in order to placate them and deflect any pressure from himself before NOT asking for her hand in marriage.  More about this later, but I thought this was a deal breaker for JoJo, no matter how he attempted to justify it.   

You know what, I thought.  Phuk It.  Oh, and thank God we were spared the ball busting of the brothers like we had to watch with Ben.  My guess is that they asked him for Packers tickets.  All in all, I thought Jordan put on a good show and it was apparent (in hindsight) that JoJo was trying to sell him rather than show him off.  Red Flag Number 5.

Robby.  Yaaaaaaay, Robby!

First, let me ask all of you if any of you in the history of the entire franchise have ever seen anyone as “ALL IN” as Robby was when it came to JoJo?  The guy night as well have been going over Niagra Falls in a barrel. 

From his perfectly pressed khaki short shorts, open-toed sandals carefully accenting his fresh pedicure, and all the way to his cute white linen blouse, he was prepared to meet “Mom” and “Dad”. 

Proving he wasn’t delusional, Robby tells us that he’s excited that he gets to meet his “potential future in-laws”.  Sufficiently groomed with perhaps a hint of Just for Men in his angular beard, Robby and his bouquet of fresh flowers for Lady Botox turn on the charm.

Red Flag Number 6:  Realizing almost immediately that Robby is the polar opposite of Jordan, Mom says he’s “gentle and soft.”  Again, the Botox clearly hasn’t gone to her brain.  Mom is astute.

Red Flag Number 7: The brothers meet with JoJo.  They love Robby.  Was it me or did they look like a gay couple?   The alpha brother drops a not so subtle dig at Jordan saying that JoJo needs to be sure that the man she picks is ready for marriage and “not someone that is just your New Year’s Eve date.” 

Granted, the entire family seemed a bit controlling and over-protective of her—almost to the point of outright manipulation, but I got the feeling that they’d seen her make a few bad choices in the past.  I give them all a pass out of sheer concern.  They clearly love her and that’s more than a lot of people get from their family.   

Mom meets with Robby and pretends that she is concerned.  I was waiting for her to ask him, “are you sure you aren’t interested more in one of JoJo’s brothers?”  Robby sells it—hard.  Again, sincerity is hard to fake (ask Jordan) and he was clearly putting all of his flowery cards on the table.    

Red Flag Number 9:  Robby actually drops “Dr. Fletcher” and “Mrs. Fletcher” and calls JoJo by her full name. Nice work.  Jordan looked like a putz and if there was a quintessential moment where the contrast was glaringly apparent between the two, that was it.  She clearly told both of them that it was of paramount importance for her father to be asked for his blessing and Robby stepped up to the plate while Jordan simply ignored it.  Huge difference.    

Dad cries and JoJo tells us that this is so Phuking hard.

JoJo arrives to the family compound solo in cork wedges.  Mom looks like JoJo twenty years after a divorce and a drinking problem. 

Red Flag Number 10:  The family is behind Robby.  Well, we really didn’t know what the mute sister thought, but my assumption is that she was at least a tepid “yes” when it came to Robby.  After all, she needed some hair and makeup advice and Jordan certainly wasn’t going to be good for any of that.   She’s less attractive than JoJo and you could see the resentment dripping off of her non-highlighted hair down to her non-professionally selected wardrobe. 
 
Then JoJo begins to use the word “confused.”  A Lot. 

First of all, she mistook certainty for confusion.  Her conscience was telling her that Robby was the logical, most reliable, and most solid pick.  However, she’s more physically attracted to Jordan and she’s willing to ignore the fact that she has direct knowledge of him cheating on his prior girlfriend (Red Flag Number 11) and concealing all of the facts from JoJo when she asked him about it (Red Flag Number 12).  

Now if you’ll remember, I gave him a pass on glossing over that little misdeed early in their relationship.  However, that’s still a puzzle piece she needed to deal with at this point.  The bottom line is that Jordan is her “type” and Robby was a risk in no other way than the fact that he wasn’t Jordan.  Jordan might lie about another relationship but the biggest thing she risked Robby lying about was using her Aveda products in the shower.    

Enter poor decisions. 

Robbie date.  He tones it down with a white T-shirt and cute blue shorts.  Maybe they were culottes (remember those?)

I used your Tea Tree Shampoo.  I'm sorry.

Beach date.  Blue Lagoon swim session and a cold meatloaf story.  Very weird, but it shows he’s not thinking about red carpets or free stuff.  He probably was looking forward to meeting Ellen DeGeneres and dancing down the aisle in his white slippers, but we can’t really fault him for dreaming a bit, can we?    


Dinner.  White sandals, khakis, gray t-shirt.   

In my humble guy opinion, this is when JoJo really began to lean to Jordan’s side of the fence for good.  Prior to the dinner, I think she was emotionally torn because she’s a nice person and did not want to hurt Robby.  However, he laid it on very very thick at dinner.  He was TOO ready to settle down and have kids.  I don’t think she thought much past the red carpets, free stuff, and the trip to see Ellen.  She told herself that Robby was everything she wanted, but realized at that moment that it wasn’t what she wanted.   

Jordan date.  In a symbolic twist Jordan wears a black shirt to Robby’s white.  Boat ride.

She lists every red flag I mentioned above, plus a few more:  Trust issues, didn’t ask for her hand like she asked him to do, family thinks he’s a player, they’re too much alike, she’s not sure he’s ready . . .   And then she proceeds to ignore all of it.  That was almost painful to watch.    



White wine on the secluded beach. “We talked about this in our overnight.”  The look of concern on her face that he didn’t ask for her hand was apparent.  The truth was right in front of her nose and she ignored it.  Not a good start.  Dude, how clear is it?  He fumbles around the subject but manipulates her enough to make her feel guilty about it.  She’s confused for the 100th time in an hour. 

She ignores the fact that he’s ignored the one thing she told him was important to her.  She again labels it “confused.”
 
Robby showers and Peppermint Patties his hair before putting on a Peppermint Patty outfit and meeting Neil Lane.  He actually had on a green shirt, black shorts, and sandals.

If you marry me we can register at Sephora.

Dear JoJo, If you marry me, we can register at Sephora

Incidentally, I’d like to give a shout out to my friend, reader, and commenter on the blog for making Peppermint Patty a verb in one of her emails to me about Robby’s hair.  She gets the credit for the usage.  Solid.    

Jordan begrudgingly fake calls her dad to ask his permission to marry his daughter.  Mom and Dad give fake permission after being bribed with free mimosas and Botox touch ups at the resort spa. 

Red Flag Number 13:  In spite of his awkward end run around JoJo’s only request Jordan still drops a “Joe and Soraya” instead of a Dr. and Mrs. Fletcher. 

They both write love notes to her.  Jordan’s looked like a five year old wrote it and Robby’s was about as neat as his beard.  You know Robby dotted his I’s with hearts. 

She throws on the Fay Wray dress and her sparkly shoes.   She gets the notes.  Jordan reads the letter aloud and so does she.  Stupid.  She eats it up.  Then she reads Robby’s letter and loves it but breaks down crying about it. 

Red Flag Number 14:  Robby’s letter is all about her, her happiness, and what he can give her in a marriage.  Jordan’s was all about him, what she meant to him, and how she affected him. 

I began to wonder if JoJo was colorblind.  She ignored every sign put in her way.  Even God must have been shrugging his shoulders. 

Robby is first into the sweatbox.  Elf shoes and a horribly fitting suit.  As I said earlier, I don’t think anyone has been that committed to a final ceremony in the history of the show. He’s like the Anti-Womack.   He swung for the fence but failed to realize that JoJo had a mean knuckleball.  I think we all felt sorry for him but he handled it with class.   

Jordan shows up.  Then she finalizes her mistake. 

Well, there it is.  Another season in the bag.  Don’t bug me about BIP.  I’m still pondering. 

Thank you all again for the comments, the time you put into reading, and the smile you put on my face when I hear about a line you liked or an observation that hit home.  My life is far more interesting with all of you in it.  Take care of yourselves, enjoy Bachelor in Paradise, and keep reading.  DP
 









38 comments:

  1. Nice work brother, I continued watching this dumb show just to read your posts. I hope you do comment on paradise, as it will give me a reason (other than me being pathetic) to watch. I also believe chunks will be there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm leaning toward recapping. HOWEVER, I'm waiting until Chad leaves. Thanks for the support. DP

      Delete
    2. Here's a thought:
      How about you recap BIP for us without any comments on Chad. A disclaimer is put at the bottom of your post that we are NOT to mention anything Chad did. This way we can be privy to your astute writing and you can revel in our comments without having to be double and triple exposed to Chad.
      ?

      Delete
    3. I am going to reply to my own comment (above)...
      I just watched BIP from last night (on Hulu) and it was reasonably entertaining until Chad became unbearable.
      DP: don't blog on this until Chad leaves. Honestly, it's not fun watching this-

      Delete
  2. Hey DP, remember me? Ha, long time, no comment, I know. It's been a really rough year for me for a myriad of reasons, and I stopped reading most of the blogs I used to because I lost energy and focus. But here I am, nearly 4 am, and I thought what the hell, I'll check out DP's finale recap since it's right here in my dashboard. And I just wanted to comment and say thanks for always providing a laugh. Even though I've been gone for a while, your jokes and commentary are still so on point they crack me up as much as they ever did. Laughter is always needed, but especially so right now for me. So thank you, friend. Hope all is going well in your world. Keep being awesome, and I'll do my best to comment more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO glad to hear you're still reading. Without prying, let me just say that I hope that all of your issues-no matter what they are-get resolved. Hang in there. DP

      Delete
  3. Hello, there! Writing from Brazil! Yes, I watch the show, I don't even know why anymore, but I guess it is because I love to ready the funny recaps and yours it's one of the best! Makes me laugh out loud every time! Totally agree with you when you say that it was during dinner that JoJo made up her mind - the guy was trying to hard... But anyways she had to choose between bad and worst... Thanks for the recaps and hope you write something about BIP (yeah, I watch that too. And sorry, I know you didnt want anyone nagging you about it :))). Cheers from Brazil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, home of the Zika virus. Thanks for reading so far away. Mrs. SGIA's family is from Brazil so we have a connection (sort of). Thanks for reading from way down there. Enjoy the Olympics. DP

      Delete
  4. Ugh that was all painful. Watching her ignore her inner thoughts was painful to me as a woman. I couldn't help but think this is why women get a bad rap when they clearly don't listen to their intuition. I'll be annoyed when they break up in 6 months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6 months is generous. According to--well, everyone--they're already done. We'll see.

      Delete
  5. Thanks as always for the recap and I'm glad you mentioned Chads awful facial hair, I thought it was just me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's awful. I'm surprised he doesn't shave it like he does the rest of his body. DP

      Delete
  6. Sisyphus? You seriously enjoyed Edith Hamilton's book in high school, didn't you? Excellent recap as always, and spot on with all the red flags. Favorite line, "Even God must have been shrugging his shoulders." Classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea who Edith Hamilton is. I learned about him in Greek mythology 101. I thought it was an appropriate analogy. DP

      Delete
    2. One of the more memorable (read painful) high school English experiences: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mythology_(book) Actually, I think I'd enjoy it more now...

      Delete
  7. There were so many red flags and like you said I began to wonder if JoJo was colorblind. She ignored every sign put in her way. Some other things that caught my attention-her parents call each other mom and dad -just sounds weird to me and the sister we never knew existed. Where did she come from? She sure wasn't on Ben's season when he met the family. And mom referring to JoJo as their princess. That would raise a red flag to me as potential suitor. No one will ever measure up to dad in how she's treated most likely. It will be very surprising if they last the protracted period -the house they bought in Dallas better be in her name!
    Sal in Utah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great recap, as usual! Quite a few memorable lines from you this week but this one was probably my favorite:
    "JoJo arrives to the family compound solo in cork wedges. Mom looks like JoJo twenty years after a divorce and a drinking problem." Call me cynical, but that one made me laugh!

    Here's my take on the Jojo/Jordan thing....she had her eye on him from night one and short of him getting caught cheating with a producer behind her back during filming, she wasn't going to change her mind about it. She was totally invested in him from the start and Robby was just window dressing.

    In my opinion, Robby was TOO invested in her, especially after ending a 4 yr relationship only months before filming. I never bought it and thought he was definitely trying too hard. It was like he was "too perfect" and we all know that doesn't exist. (Uh oh, is that me being cynical again or just realistic?!?!)

    Anyway, another season is in the bag and I am fairly certain that none of us are surprised with the final outcome.

    DP, I watched BIP last night and I am happy to report that Chad lasted less than 24 hours!!!! YAY! Please tell me that this means you will now recap the show?!?!? There are so many train wrecks waiting to happen this season - we need you!!!!! :) Hope you will reconsider - I love your recaps....

    Hope you have a wonderful Wednesday~
    Rose in OC

    ReplyDelete
  9. Actually, Robby should have called her parents Dr., Dr. as her mother has a Ph. D. AND shortly after this "event" was filmed her mother was indicted on drug abuse charges and lost her license to practice whatever it is she does (she was a nurse practioner, I think). She didn't go to jail but has to "shadow" someone else while they work for about a year and then has to find someone who will hire her with her record. I guess JoJo was horrified and afraid that this would get out- well it did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea. Good info. Weird, but good. She still looks like Charo.

      Delete
  10. "It was apparent (in hindsight) that JoJo was trying to sell [Jordan] rather than show him off. " - very astute. She wanted someone - anyone - to say that he was the one for her, but no one could/would.

    Also, I went back to your pre-show post evaluating the headshots and bios... and here's what you had to say about Jordan: “He's either going to be really awesome or really bitter. If his bio is telling, he sounds awesome… I'm rooting for this guy.” Ha. How much things change in 10 weeks.

    Thanks for the awesome recaps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Astute indeed. For the record, I was rooting for Jordan. Still am, but I don't think he is who he pretended to be. DP

      Delete
  11. Thanks for another lovely season; your recaps are always my favorite. I hope the happy couple receives all the "fame" they were obviously looking for.

    Mrs.M in MI

    ReplyDelete
  12. Been reading for years, thanks again for this season. Sometimes I didn't even watch the episode, I would just read your blog. I was over this season early on... BIP looks far more promising!

    Anna in DC

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some Guy, thank you so much for another season of great recaps and many laughs! I love reading your man's perspective for all of this nonsense. And, as usual, you are right on point with your observations regarding the glaring red flags and Jojo's poor decision making. Favorite lines were the ones involving Jojo's family (Poor sister...I did feel bad for her!)

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  14. They did show the sister in Ben's season, but again, she was mute. There's still hope for her once Daddy pops for her nose and boob job like he did for big sis, JoJo. Hilarious recap, Some Guy! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. DP, thanks for the laughs all season long. I don't think I could watch this show if I didn't have your blog and Lincee's to read.
    Monday night's show should have been titled "a tale of red flags". Lord, I had never seen a person ignore so many red flags in my life. She fell for Jordan the minute he came out of the limo and she was not going to let it go. Robby was just a fun guy to go shopping with and to go to the spa with for facials, etc.
    I think Robby wearing the white slippers on their last day did him in. Don't you agree? By the way, did you notice he went swimming early in the day and when he came out of the water his hair had not moved? What kind of products is this guy using?
    OMG, Charo! You were right on point with the reference to Charo and JoJo's mom. She may have been a nice looking woman years ago, now her face is frozen and you can't tell whether she is happy or sad because nothing moves.
    The sister, where did she come from? I swear I don't remember seeing her during Ben's visit last season. Does she talk? Mother Charo called JoJo her "princess", what is the sister? The scullery maid? Poor girl having JoJo to compete with.
    Watched BIP last night and Chad is gone, officially kicked out by Harrison. Does that mean you'll be recapping? Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. As a mom, I hate to comment on Mom and her curious relationship with cosmetics and cosmetic enhancement. Obviously, I don't hate it enough to refrain. So, Seriously? A good look for you?

    I was creeped out a little bit by Robby's next step of always calling JoJo anything but JoJo. Joelle, Jo - seemed like a subtle way to say that his feeling were NOT for the Reality Show Star, but for the real girl, Jo. Or Joelle. Boundaries, Robby, boundaries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. He tried way too hard. He's likely co-dependent and/or still misses his ex.

      Delete
  17. I really enjoy seeing this from a male perspective. Interesting about the letters. I hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out. Where were you to give me advice when I was dating (not that I would have listened in all fairness). Luckily I ended up with a great hubby the second time around, chose opposite of my "type" and it still works 12 years later. Go figure. I nearly died laughing at the picture of Charo - spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Robby showers and Peppermint Patties his hair before putting on a Peppermint Patty outfit and meeting Neil Lane
    click here:
    máy rửa xe cao áp

    bàn nâng xe máy

    súng xiết bu lông

    máy nén khí mini

    máy làm lốp

    ReplyDelete